The following section speaks briefly to my service highlights. Please see my APARs for more detailed information about my service.

I enjoy working with my colleagues on tasks and projects that are not part of my workload. This often includes learning design related administrative tasks like taking meeting minutes, chairing meetings, providing peer reviews, participating on committees, or updating documents (for example course development invoices or blueprint templates). Our group of learning designers support each other as a professional community, using an online channel in which we ask and answer questions and share resources directly applicable to our work. We use this channel daily. We also started building a Learning Design Framework, a space in which we share our joint values and articulate best practice guidelines and expectations. The work on our design framework strengthened our team and is one of my favorite projects to be involved in with my group.

As an artist, I use graphic recording and facilitation to support our departmental efforts. Here are some examples:

I volunteer to create cards to acknowledge life events or celebrate special milestones in our colleagues’ lives, helping to build a nurturing and caring community.

Photo by Jon Fulton

On the departmental level, highlights of my service include helping to organize the Creativity in the Open events, contributing to the 2019 ETUG hosting, working on the PLAR (Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition) handbook and PLAR competency-based assessment rubrics. PLAR also invited me to graphically record PLAR decolonization efforts.

I supported OL during the international day against contract cheating, planning for student activities during the event and through a visual outlining TRU student supports. I created visuals for an OLFM conference.

During the Covid-19 lockdowns, I attended help desk hours in a rotation with my fellow IDs, contributing instructional design expertise to faculty that needed assistance with transitioning courses from in-class to alternate delivery formats. This supported our OL Educational Technology and Production colleagues.

I also contribute to OL’s social committee, helping plan staff events and support our collegial culture.

On an institutional level, I enjoy working with my CELT colleagues on their CRI (Course Redesign Institute). I usually spend one to two days with campus faculty members and provide instructional design recommendations.  Together with colleagues from OL, CELT (Centre for Excellence in Learning and Teaching), and the Library, I worked on the development of CRICKET – a course resource website for faculty members and OL developers to use when planning and creating curriculum. CRICKET is also used during the CRI workshops.  

I actively participate in the OEWG (Open Education Working Group) as a member and the vice chair of the group. I supported SMEs in the creation of OER textbooks and case studies, listed in the Workload section of this portfolio. For two years, I also served as a mentor in TRU’s Connections Mentoring Program.

Photographs by Cole Hickson and Marie Bartlett

I provided instructional design one-on-one consultations to campus faculty colleagues during the Covid-19 lockdowns, helping them plan their alternate course delivery and recommend appropriate online activities to replace their in-class equivalents.  I also work on special classroom projects with campus faculty. Some highlights of my work with campus faculty include: CAISSIE: Critical Analysis of Images open educational resource, ARET (Architectural and Engineering Technology) applied research student project, Sociology debates transitioned from face-to-face to online modality, or Social Work online practicum placements.

I have been working with groups of students and colleagues on CURN: TRU’s Undergraduate Research Network website.  My involvement evolved from service to working with the Research Office on a two-course-release for a year. The CURN project is an open pedagogical practice initiative, in which students co-create content and share it openly. I have also served as a supervisor to 5 student researchers, supporting a number of TRU classroom research projects and community research projects.

I provide graphic facilitation and recording support to many university initiatives. This included the Envision TRU process, during which I captured four community consultation sessions through large scale graphic recordings. I also participated in focus groups that reviewed vision, mission, and value drafts, and I drew a large scale timeline of the visioning process.  I shared my thoughts on the new vision in an institutional video. Other areas that asked me to visually support their initiatives include the office of Research and Graduate Studies, office of the University Registrar, TRU World, School of Business and Economics, School of Nursing, CELT, and more.

I volunteer in Secwe̓pemc communities on a number of food security related projects. I also provided language support services to a Czech family on an ongoing and regular basis for three years, and I volunteer as a set designer and painter for Shakespeare Kelowna.